Advantages and Disadvantages of a Toddler Bed:
Advantages of putting your toddler in a toddler-sized bed:
- The bed is about the same size as a crib, possibly making the transition from a crib to a bed easier on your little one.
- Crib sheets will fit on a toddler-sized bed, meaning you don’t have to buy new bedding.
- Toddler mattresses are usually covered in vinyl making them easy to wipe clean. This is great because if your toddler pees the bed it won’t ruin the mattress!
- Toddler-sized beds are usually lower to the ground than twin beds. If your child rolls out of bed it will not be as big of a fall as rolling out of a twin bed.
- Many beds made for toddlers come with partial side-rails, meaning you may not have to buy toddler bed rails.
- Toddler-sized beds often cost less than twin beds.
- Some beds are themed. Ex: princess toddler-sized bed, cars toddler-sized bed, etc
Disadvantages of putting your toddler in a toddler-sized bed:
- A toddler-sized bed will only last a few years before your toddler needs a larger bed.
- If you buy a bed made for toddlers now you will still have to spend money on a larger bed later, meaning you will buy two “big kid” beds instead of one.
- Toddlers may change their mind about having a themed bed and no longer like it.
Advantages and Disadvantages of a Twin Bed
Advantages of putting your toddler in a twin sized bed:
- The bed will be closer in size to Mommy and Daddy’s bed, making the toddler feel like they really do have a “big kid” bed.
- Your child can use a twin bed for the rest of childhood without outgrowing it.
- There’s more room on a twin-sized bed.
- Buying new sheets and a comforter may help your toddler feel excited about sleeping in a bed instead of a crib.
- Many twin sized beds are classic styles that a child will never outgrow.
Disadvantages of putting your toddler in a twin sized bed:
- The bed will be much larger than a crib, possibly making the transition to a bed more difficult on some toddlers.
- If you want to protect the mattress from bed-wetting you will have to buy a waterproof mattress pad.
- It is harder to find character themed twin beds: Ex princess beds, pirates bed
- A twin bed is usually higher off the ground than a toddler-sized bed, meaning a further distance too if your child falls off the bed.
- Side rails are not traditionally included with a twin bed, so if you want bed rails for your toddler you will have to buy them separately.
Choose what works for you and your toddler:
In the end, choosing between a toddler-sized bed and a twin-sized bed is all about preference. Choose which one will work best in your home and for your toddler. The next step now is transitioning your toddler to the bed!