Poison Prevention

Poison prevention is vital to keeping toddlers safe. Young children are prone to putting everything in their mouths. They may also spill a poison on their skin or in their eyes or inhale poisonous fumes. Because of this it’s important for parents to focus on preventing toddler poisoning and know what to do if their tot does come in contact with a poison.

Preventing toddler poisoning

Prevention is often key in toddler safety, and with poisonings this is also true. Here are some steps to avoid poisoning accidents at home:

  • Never put cleaning products in old soda or juice containers because children will think they are safe to drink
  • Always use latches and other safety devices to prevent your child from opening any cabinet with poisons in them like cleaners, medicines, automobile products, lawn products etc
  • Never leave a cleaner out where a child can reach it.
  • Teach your little one that these products are not to be touched
  • Don’t leave alcoholic drinks out where a toddler could drink them
  • Don’t use furniture older than 1978 that could have been painted with a lead-based paint
  • Always keep medicines away from children even if they have a child-resistant cap. This includes medicines that may be in someone’s purse or bag.
  • Don’t give your child medicine in the dark, you may accidentally give too much!
  • Keep bottles of vitamins away from children
  • Get rid of used cell batteries (the circular batteries) and other batteries properly, and keep new ones away from children.
  • Don’t keep poisonous plants in your home
  • Keep a working carbon monoxide detector in your home
  • Keep all laundry products locked up and high out of reach of your toddler.

What to do if your toddler has come in contact with poison:

If your child is not breathing, unconscious, having seizures or some other serious reaction call 911 immediately. If your child is not having serious symptoms call Poison Help at 1-800-222-1222. This is also a great number to call for questions about poisons and poison prevention. This will connect you to a local poison center 7 days a week, 24 hours a day for free. Important information to give them will be:

  • Your child’s age and weight
  • Any medical conditions your child has
  • Medication your child takes
  • The name of the item your child ingested
  • The time your child swallowed it and how much you think was swallowed
  • What first aid has already been done
  • Whether or not the child has vomited

If your child spilled a dangerous poison on his/her skin: take off the clothes and rinse the skin with water for at least 15 minutes, then call Poison Help.

If there is poison in the eye: Pour room temperature water in the inner corner of the eye for 15 minutes then call Poison Help

If your child is exposed to fumes or gases: Get them to fresh air right away. If child is not breathing start CPR and have someone call 911. If the child is breathing call the Poison Help number.

Remember, poison prevention is key…

Protect your toddler from poison by keeping all poisons away from your child. Prevention is the best way to protect your child from being poisoned. If your tot does come in contact with a poison remember to call Poison Help at 1-800-222-1222. Keep this number by every phone in your house and programmed into your cell phone. Make sure any caregivers or babysitters also have this number.

Loading Facebook Comments ...